JPA java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No query defined for that name (Solved)

I’ve recently been working with the [Camel JPA] ( component for moving data from one of our SQL servers to our messaging system.

We have a number of Entity POJOs defined that contain a named query which the JPA component uses in order to query the database to select the appropriate records that need to be processed. Everything was working great and I decided to move these beans to a separate library that could be shared with other applications. However, once I did this the original application started encountering the following error.

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No query defined for that name [AllinboundMessagesSqlBean.findByProcessed]

I checked the classpath and the beans were in fact being found, but the named queries on the beans were not being found. It took some research, but the solution to the problem ended up proving to be very simple.

The change was to explicitly add the entity classes to the application’s persistance.xml


Once the classes were defined in the file, the app was then able to find these entity beans that were in a separate .jar. Hopefully this will help others out there who may have run into a similar issue.

twitter: @RobTerpilowski

ClassCastException on Hibernate 4.3.x and Glassfish 4.x

I am attempting to utilize Hibernate 4.3.8 in a service that I am creating that will be running on Glassfish 4.1. When I attempt to

read an object from the db, such as the example below:

Product product = entityManager.find(Product.class, 980001);

The following exception is thrown

java.lang.ClassCastException: com.lynden.allin.service.Product cannot be cast to com.lynden.allin.service.Product

At first glance this may seem a bit strange since the 2 classes appear identical, and they are, but the issue is that there are 2 instances of the class being loaded by different classloaders. When the entityManager attempts to cast the class, it grabs a version that the service itself doesn’t know about since the service the reference that the service has was created from a different class loader.

After some searching it appears that this is a know issue with Hibernate 4.3.6 and newer:

The solution for the time being is to downgrade hibernate to 4.3.5 in order to avoid this issue in Glassfish.

twitter: @RobTerpilowski